The Biden-Harris administration has made nature-based solutions (NbS) a priority, touting them in multiple executive orders (e.g., EO 14008 and 14072) and supporting funding for NbS projects through recent legislation like the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and the Inflation Reduction Act. In November, the administration released a roadmap for unlocking the potential of NbS in the United States.
In the fourth session of the Nature-Based Solutions: Current Issues webinar series, hear directly from two authors of the roadmap as they describe the development, contents, and rollout of this historic strategy to scale up NbS. Following the presentation, federal agency representatives provide insight into what the roadmap means for the future of their agencies’ programming.
ABOUT THE SERIES:
Nature-based solutions are actions to protect, manage, or restore natural or modified ecosystems that address societal challenges. These solutions are varied and multi-purpose, and are important tools to simultaneously benefit both people and nature. Interest in NbS is growing from both the public and private sectors, as is the desire to scale up implementation—so conversations around NbS effectiveness, execution, funding, and policies are more crucial than ever. Explore current NbS issues, discover promising practices, and hear from experts working in this field during a new webinar series: Nature-Based Solutions: Current Issues. The series is organized by the National Ecosystem Services Partnership (NESP) and the Resilience Roadmap project.
REFERENCES & RESOURCES:
- Biden-Harris Administration Resources:
- Nature-Based Solutions Roadmap
- Nature-Based Solutions Resource Guide
- Joint statement of US and Australia on cooperation on Natural Capital Accounting
- Federal register notice for information on the National Nature Assessment, and opportunities for in-person collaboration sessions on the National Nature Assessment in Washington, DC at the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History and with the American Society of Civil Engineers
- EPA Resources:
- NOAA Resources:
- Additional Resources: